Translate

Monday, April 28, 2014

Harrysong: “My Mother & Father are Siblings

Harrison Tari Okri, aka Harrysong, is one of the hottest acts right now. This energetic writer, singer and producer shared a major secret with YES INTERNATIONAL!’s GBENGA SHABA about his parents. He also spoke on other issues…
 Let us meet you.
My name is Harrison Tari Okri. I’m from Delta State, an Ijaw man from Warri, but grew up in Port-Harcourt. My stage name is Harrysong. I am the first and the only child of my parents.
 You mean you are an only child?
No. It’s just that after my dad and my mum gave birth to me, they separated and went their different ways. So, my father got married to another woman and also my mother to another man. They separated because I was given birth to by two relations. My father and mother are actually brother and sister. They gave birth to me before they could realize that.
 How did that happen?
I don’t know.
Did you ask them?
I don’t know.
 Did you ever ask them how they met and fell in love?
Well, I learnt that when my mother was alive, she met my father. Then she was still in school and they were in the same class and the same village. But she didn’t know that they are closely related. So, I was born based on what our villagers regarded as abomination and therefore they had to separate.

 Are you saying that the discovery actually led to your parents’ separation?
Yes, of course! Because it was a big abomination, so they had to separate. Even, they attempted to kill my father in that village, but he fled, because in Warri where I come from, it is a taboo. They termed it incest.
So, how were you able to get into music?
My mum was a singer. In fact, a choir mistress in a white garment church. I used to attend choir practice with her and also sing in church. The passion to sing was also in me and that motivated me to follow her whenever she was going on any ministration when I was young. Before she died, she went to the studio and I wrote her first song when I was about eleven years old. So, anytime I think about how I started music, I always give the kudos to my mum. I started as a gospel artiste from Late Pa Benson Idahosa’s church with the name Harrysong, but then I wasn’t satisfied being limited to the four walls of the church. That was why I came to Lagos some years ago and I started hustling from street to street, from studio to studio, where I met people like Aki and Pawpaw. I worked with Omotola Jalade, Paul Play, Dr. Fresh, KC Presh, before I could produce that track, I’m in Love which actually brought me to where I am today.
Tell us some of the challenges you faced when you started?
The first thing was the acceptability. People find it difficult to accept you because they don’t really know you; because they don’t really believe in you or what you can offer. But by the grace of God, it was when I performed at Felabration and I did well that people started knowing me and people started taking me serious and were eager to associate with my music. Rhythm Unplugged, where I also performed, paved the way to meet Questionmark boss (Kevin Luciano) and he invited me.
You said you started from the church, why are you not doing gospel music?
I’m a musician and a writer, so I can do anything. But the fact is that I am a gospel artiste! Iam a God’s chosen son to work for Him. I have the talent, I can do any kind of music, ranging from jazz, RnB, hip hop and others. If you invite me today to do gospel, you will see my best and that is how it is for all others. God has given me the understanding to do well in all ramifications.
When would you describe as the turning point in your career?
I think it was the last NMVA performance, because immediately after that performance, I got theCalabar Carnival deal and two other performances. So, it is truly I’m in Love that got me the breakthrough and my fan base started growing and corporate bodies started appreciating me as a brand they can identify with.
How did you get signed on by Questionmark Records?
I got to Questionmark through Debbie. He was the one that took me to Questionmark to work as a professional writer and a vocal coach. So, when I got there, Kevin heard my voice and he was interested. Then, we talked for about four months before we stared working together.
Recently, there was in uproar about your contract with Questionmark. What is your reaction to this?
The truth is that there is no way people can be working together that there won’t be challenges, ups and downs, trials; some things you want to be done are not done. Many things you want to meet up with and you are not able to. You know I’m working with people and a lot of people are working with me. I have managers, assistants and people that are expecting things that are not coming forth from me. So, I am human, you understand. Being a celebrity or a superstar doesn’t make you a ghost. I just reacted to some things that are not going on as they are supposed to be going on. But trust me, everything is okay. Yes, there was ‘wahala’, but everything is okay now.
Is there any woman in your life?
(Laughs) There was a woman in my life like two years ago, but we broke up because she could not stand the whole paparazzi thing and showbiz. So, I have to focus and just do my thing. That means there is no woman in my life now.
Are you saying she left you because of what you do?
She was just jealous; she couldn’t stand the women running after me.
What about your alleged relationship with Ego Omalicha?
I knew you were going to ask the question. Okay, when Ego was signed into Questionmark, she was like signed under me to be writing and vocal-coaching her. I was her writer, her producer. I producedThinking About You for her. I also wrote it. I produced and wrote Omalicha Nwa for her. So, it was like she had to be close to me for us to connect, to really get the song going. But it was lately that I began to hear that feelings were coming in, but I wasn’t noticing that because I was just working as a musician, a writer and a producer. So, I heard she said in a paper that I broke her heart and all sort of things. I think she should have told me when the feelings started coming. If you love someone or you have a feeling for him or her, just tell the person; but she didn’t tell me anything, so I’m innocent.
So, how is your relationship now?
She is my friend, but I’ve not seen her for a while now because I’ve been very busy travelling around to sort my career out, but it has been okay, we are good.
What if the feelings now come back again, are you ready to give it a shot?
You mean go out with Ego or marry Ego? (Laughs) Anyway, I can’t say no if it comes, why not. But the feeling is not there. I don’t have feelings for any woman now, not to talk of Ego. But if the feeling comes, why not! Ego is a beautiful girl and she is indigenous, so why not. It will be a privilege for me to have any good woman that is as focused and humble as Ego.
 please leave a comment....

No comments:

Post a Comment